Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Off to Havelock Island...Yellow Fin Tuna Catch of the Day!

Back to our Andaman Adventures :)

We set sail at sunrise from Phuket-January 2012 ,for our four day and night sail to the distant Andaman Islands.


Cody trying to touch a dolphin off the front of Micah:)
Brent relaxing while I have tea:)
You can see which photos I did NOT take:)- why am I blurred???


Look what boat life has done to me- a little sun and no highlights...:)


Actually a very elegant local lady kindly let me take her photo:)

Our tea stop on the side of the road...despite the washbay is that tin bucket of water in the pic...the tea was the best!
Cody waiting for his moment:)-I hope...

Caden and Bananas:)
That grin-It seems to run in the family:))))



Brent stares warily into the murky water. This is huge croc territory and Brent wants to do a swim!


Yip:) we do sail:))
   






The local ladies of the Andamans.
 


 
The house on the beach at Neil Island...and just like that-it vanished!


brent paddling for some peace and quiet:)


cally making me smile:)))))))))))))))))))

Cody burning calories:)


My shift on an overnighter- DAWN! What a PRIVILEGE:)




No sooner than we had upped anchor at Neil Island
Ha!Ha! Austin:)
 and started motor sailing to Havelock 4 hours away, I put  my fishing rod out with my good old lure:) The line went straight away and I reeled in a bonnita tuna which we released but then Caden's line went and he reeled in the catch of the day- a nice BIG yellowfin tuna- the biggest tuna that we have caught yet- and it is such tasty fish to eat:) That one fish fed 3 families on 3 yachts:)- Barbara Ann, Us and another super Dutch family that we met now!

Have a look at the size of our tuna we caught:)!





 In the whole tuna rush though, my lure got hooked and snapped off -so there goes my favourite lure...again:(


One of the "secret" beautiful places we enjoyed:)


Port Blaire,where we had to check our yachts in, seems like a long time ago already.

Barbara Ann and Micah anchored in Port  Blaire.
Shopping for veggies at the local market:) Nothing like shopping at Woolworths:)


This is India-a new experience for us:) as we have only really explored Thailand,Malaysia and plenty of Indonesia:) 



Although the Indian culture is familiar to us, there were some differences. A thriving transport business is the little tuctucs-they keep you smiling as one looks at the gaudy interiors and breathe in the fresh air, listen to the competitive loud music and hang on for a perilious ride:) 
For a more expensive, more comfortable ride you can choose a vintage taxi:)-all very strange!




We used both as we spent quite a few days in this bustling town. Although Port Blaire is not big, the tuctuc drivers play some money games (I think). They got me really confused as they buzzed around up and down winding little side streets, up and down and round and round...hooting wildly the whole time and screeching around all vehicles... and suddenly we arrive at our destination and ...it is right next door from where we departed:))) Ha!Ha! Tourists!!!


Cal and I getting LOCAL:)



So if you are ever going to go to Port Blaire in the Andaman Islands (hey you may...you may buy a yacht and find yourself there one day:) -it happens:) )
Then expect-one main road crammed with concrete, smelly broken drains, lost cows, goats,colour,samoosas, hot tea sold at 4pm only! I did love all the vibrant colours of the ladies saries:)
Caden tucking in and loving the local food:) and Jack :) in our favourite little restaurant in Port Blaire.
Jacs and I getting our precious homebrewed tea at 4pm-only..

The colours of the Andamans:)




If you have read the great book Shantaram - then you may be prepared for this:) I also loved the head wiggling:) Everyone wiggles their heads when they talk to you - so I did it to. Takes a while to get used to not doing it:)



We did a cultural trip to the Prison in Port Blaire where hundreds of Indians were incarcerated there 200 years ago when Port Blaire was an island where only prisoners were sent to.
A local beauty.


We arrived at the prison just before they closed and as we just got in the doors, I needed the bathroom.


The public toilets in the Andaman Prison were something NOT to behold! Always an endless stream of people going into to them and only 2 loos..
Brent brought in this nice size Wahoo.Things still to come:)
.The story of my life- I finally got to the front of the queue...went in...saw "something " in the loo and got out of there as fast as possible ...only for the lady behind me to step and in and then start telling ALL the other ladies about ME and what I left for her.... I was so embarrassed that I tried to explain in English that it was not ME... but they all ranted and raved and glared at me  and fearing I may be torn apart... I left in a rush and promised myself- no more public toilets!!! 
And as I tried to get back into the prison- everyone started to file out as it was closing time:) My prison time:)
Our Beautiful Micah!


We did get to go to visit the Prison again and it was very interesting....
The prison cells -cold and dark-on the left all the way down the eerie corridor... I kept thinking I was going to see a ghost of a prisoner in a cell...
This is no ghost:) so nice to see such a pretty happy face in the middle of such a morbid setting...

Micah anchored picture perfect off the popular Havelock Beach in The Andamans.



No comments: